Popular posts from this blog
Work, Doing, Make, Act, conduct
This sign is used very often in the sense of make and work, and frequently in such sentences as "I will try and fix it for you," "We are farming," "Will go to my people and work hard for them, " "With them," "For peace." (Rather more in the sense of work than make.) The Indian Sign Language , W.P. Clark MY YOUNG MEN SHALL NEVER WORK. MEN WHO WORK CANNOT dream ; and wisdom comes to us in dreams . You ask me to plow the ground. Shall I take a knife and tear my mother's breast? Then when I die she will not take me to her bosom to rest. You ask me to dig for stone. Shall I dig under her skin for her bones ? Then when I die I cannot enter her body to be born again. You ask me to cut grass and make hay and sell it and be rich like white men. But how dare I cut off my mother's hair? — Smohalla Nez Perce Make Fire
Kiowa
Hadley : "This is their true sign and refers to a former practice of clipping the hair above the right ear to show off ear ornaments . The motion has been mistaken for a circle, but it was not originally." (p.103) Seton : "..because they used to cut their hair on that side to show the ear ornaments or ear painted red ." (p.108) James Mooney seems to be the greatest expert on the etymology of this sign: "To make the sign for " Kiowa " in the sign language of the plains tribes , the right hand is held close to the right cheek, with back down, fingers touching and slightly curved, and the hand moved in a rotary motion from the wrist. According to the Kiowa this sign had its origin in an old custom of their warriors, who formerly cut the hair from the right side of the head, on a line with the base of the ear, in order better to display the ear pendants , while allowing it to grow to full length on the left side, so as to be braided and wrapped with...

Comments
Post a Comment